Friday, August 19, 2011

Mountaineering

Climbed a mountain today. That's right. A mountain.






The kids were pretty excited because they had no morning run or sessions today so they all considered it a day off.






Alison and Sarah struggled with walking almost right away. These two had blisters that were some of the hugest I've ever seen. We did some quick first aid on their feet allowing them to continue. We started at 9 am and didn't get back here until 5!






It was a long hike with incredible scenery, peaking to about 2000m above sea level. Pretty scary both on the way up with narrow trails, rocky outcroppings and delicious, icy mountain streams. Chains were set up along the narrow, steep pathways to help us climb both up and down.






The view at the top was both beautiful and scary. I was fine taking pictures at the edge but when people were lining up to climb down, my stomach started doing flip-flops and I had to back away.







We had a blast, but were all exhausted after an 8 hour hike. We got back to our hotel/hostel, had a quick bite and changed quickly to get in the sauna. Intense heat for 5-10 mins. 10 second ice bath. Repeat. Chris wins the prize for being most resilient and lasting well over a minute in the icy water.






Tomorrow we return to the runs, a wrestling session and a workout in the swimming pool. I'm thinking the kids will be exhausted tonight from our big adventure.















Today's guest blogger is Chris McIsaac.









Poland is an excellent country with great people and a strange culture.at first I didn't think I was going to like any of the food( which is great). The coaches are really good and cool and I'm glad we got this opportunity. The wrestling is the best with different people and techniques. Especially with the national team yesterday! It was really fun to practice with and meet them. The hike up the mountains was incredible and great for bragging rights. Now I can say I climbed up a mountain! :P










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment